Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Serving Up {Candy}: Grandma's Caramel Popcorn


Last week school started for my kids...and the rains started and the temperatures dropped and it felt like fall!  Yet, here I am one week later and the weather forecast for the next few days is high 80's and low 90's.  I feel that last's week's "fall" was only a tease and we have made a very abrupt return to summer.  The unfortunate part of that is that the kids are still in school and we can't just go find respite from the heat at the pool like we did for the month of July :(

Regardless, I am going to pretend that this week's weather didn't happen and stick with the recipe that I had planned, which screams "fall" to me....my grandmother's recipe for Caramel Popcorn.  This recipe is the recipe that my dad makes every time he and my mom make their fall visit to our home.  In fact, it is generally made while the kids carve their pumpkins in preparation for Halloween.  It's our own family Harvest Party and this caramel corn is the perfect accompaniment.


One Year Ago: Caramel Brownies
Two Years Ago: Chicken with Basil Cream Sauce

GRANDMA'S CARAMEL POPCORN     
(recipe from grandma Wright)
printable version

1 lb. (approx. 2 1/2 cup) brown sugar
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup light karo syrup
1 stick butter
pinch salt
1 1/2 cup unpopped popcorn kernels (use a little less for more caramel coverage, a little more for less caramel coverage - I use 1 1/4 cup myself cause I like the caramel!)

Begin by popping popcorn kernels in an air popper.  Allow to cool and then sift through popped popcorn and remove any unpopped kernels and discard.  Set aside.

In a heavy saucepan, combine brown sugar, sweetened condensed milk, karo syrup, butter and salt.  Using a candy thermometer, heat over medium to med-high heat (stirring to prevent burning) until the temperature reaches "softball stage".  Remove from heat and pour over prepared popcorn.  Stir until well mixed.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment