Friday, September 9, 2011

Serving Up {Pasta}: Chicken with Basil Cream Sauce

My recipe card for this recipe is well used!  You know the type - the writing is smeared where milk has been splattered on the card and there are notes written all over on it.

In the corner is written "quick".  I have made this recipe countless times and I am always pleasantly surprised how quickly this meal comes together.  In the time it takes your noodles to boil, viola!  That is why I wrote "quick" on the card so you would think I would get over it, but it's like a bonus each time I make it.

The card also says "oregano" next to the basil that is listed.  I will second that substituting oregano is a really tasty alternative (and still just as quick), but if I have fresh basil then that wins out every time!

I also wrote "can use other pasta" next to the penne but that seems like a no-brainer.  Not sure why I wrote that all those years ago, but in case you were wondering, the shape of the pasta will not alter the flavor of the end result.  That is, of course, as long as you don't do something weird like whole-wheat pasta or ramen noodles or something.  Okay then.  Enough said.

This is really one of my favorite meals to make for a Sunday dinner so that I don't spend the entire "day of rest" in the kitchen.  It is also a favorite to take to someone needing a meal because I can easily increase the portions so that it feeds two families.  Oh, and it's quick!



CHICKEN WITH BASIL CREAM SAUCE     Pin It

16-ounce Penne Pasta
1 Tbs. butter
1 lb. chicken tenders
1 tsp. garlic salt
2 cups whole milk
8-ounce cream cheese
1-2 Tbs. fresh basil, chopped (1 tsp. dried - but use fresh!)
1 cup shredded Parmesan

In a non-stick skillet, melt the butter and add the chicken, sprinkling the garlic salt evenly over chicken tenders.  Cook the chicken until it is no longer pink.
Add the milk and continue to heat until the milk begins to boil.  Cut the cream cheese into small chunks and add to the pan.  Add chopped basil.  Reduce heat and stir until the cream cheese is melted and the chicken has finished cooking all the way through.
Remove from heat and toss with the shredded Parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment