Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Serving Up {Appetizer}: Mexican Seven Layer Dip


Well, hello!

It's been a while.  Six whole months to be exact.  What started as an unintended lapse in posts over the busy Christmas holiday became a deliberate time off as I had to consider my purpose in posting to this blog and what I wanted to accomplish.  What it finally came down to is that I post recipes for fun and for my family.  Period.  I want to stay true to that purpose and needed the break from posting to spend time in my larger role as mom and wife.  It's kind of the idea of good...better...best.  The blog is a good thing but I have a lot of better's and best's in my life that needed to be attended to and the break helped me to re prioritize some of the other areas that demand my time.

Six months ago I was preparing some hearty soup recipes to share and other spring holiday favorites, but those recipes will just have to wait cause right now IT'S SUMMER!

This recipe seemed like the perfect recipe to post since summer has just started here in the NW.  A week ago I was sending my children out with jackets still on but this week we are cranking the a/c and looking for ways to cool off.  And with the 4th of July only two days away, this recipe celebrates all the holiday BBQ gatherings that I enjoyed as a child because this dip was at every one of them - it wouldn't have been a family gathering without it!

Aside from being a great appetizer, I have served this on more than one occasion as the entree.  I figure all the food groups are represented - why not?  You could even prepare it with a layer of taco meat if you really felt that it couldn't be served as a main dish without the beef :)  Another variation that I have enjoyed is replacing the refried bean layer with this black bean recipe.  Totally awesome variation!

One Year Ago: BBQ Potato, Bacon & Corn Salad
Two Years Ago: Homemade Root Beer Float Ice Cream

MEXICAN SEVEN LAYER DIP     
(recipe from aunt Mary)
printable version

2 cups of your favorite refried beans
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 pkg. taco seasoning
3 ripe avocados
3 drops Tabasco
2 Tbs. lemon juice
1-2 bunches green onions, chopped
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
small can slices olives
2 cups Monterrey jack & cheddar cheese

Combine sour cream, mayonnaise and taco seasoning and set aside to chill.
Meanwhile peel, pit and mash the avocados.  Add the Tabasco and lemon juice and set aside to chill.
To assemble, choose a large platter and spread the beans to cover the entire platter - you only want the beans to be about 1 inch thick.  Then spread the avocados over the beans, leaving the beans exposed along the edge.  Then spread the sour cream mixture over the avocado layer.  Sprinkle evenly with chopped green onions, chopped tomatoes, olives and end with the cheeses.
Serve with tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment