Friday, July 1, 2011

Serving Up {Dessert}: Root Beer Float Homemade Ice Cream

This recipe was stumbled upon as a bit of a fluke.  I had just had my fourth baby and my mom was in town helping manage all the other kids so I could recouperate.  Her visit fell over the 4th of July and so Homemade Ice Cream was on the menu.  One of the kids suggested making something other than our tried and true vanilla (is there anything other than vanilla?).  I went online and found an endless list of options and threw them out to the kids.  They chose the recipe for Root Beer Homemade Ice Cream - I think it was truly divine intervention.  It tastes JUST like a Root Beer Float and was immediately earmarked as a "keeper".

In case you are making Homemade Ice Cream for your July 4th celebration, and are ready to shake up the flavor a bit, I would highly recommed giving this recipe a try.

 

ROOT BEER FLOAT HOMEMADE ICE CREAM     
printable version

3 cups sugar
1 ½ quarts milk
3 pints heavy cream
1 ½ cans evaporated milk
6 Tbs. vanilla
2 Tbs. root beer extract
8 eggs, beaten

Add sugar to milk and heat just enough to dissolve sugar. Pour mixture into freezer tub. Add whipping cream and canned milk and mix well. Stir in vanilla and root beer extract. Add beaten egg; blend well. Freeze using 8 parts of ice to 1 part salt. Makes 6 quarts.

No comments:

Post a Comment