Thursday, June 14, 2012

Serving Up {Beef}: Shredded BBQ Beef


Can you believe that when I was growing up I did NOT like anything that had BBQ sauce on it?  What was I thinking?  I think I am definitely making up for that in my later life.  I mean, nothing says summer like a messy, drippy BBQ beef sandwich.  And this recipe, with it's made from scratch sauce, is a great way to kick off summer.  

This is one of those "everyone in the family is happy to eat it" meals.  We seem to have a few more of those as my kids get older, but still, with seven eating (if everyone is home) trying to please everyone is tricky.  Having all 7 THRILLED is priceless! 

And the added bonus - I threw mine in the slow cooker to keep the heat out of my kitchen and the results were just as delicious as when I have cooked it in the oven.  It's always a bonus when it can be done in the slow cooker!

One Year Ago:  OREO Ice Cream Cake
                           Mom's Corn Bread

SHREDDED BBQ BEEF     

1 boneless beef chuck roast (approx. 4 lbs.)
3 Tbs. cooking oil, divided
2 large onions, chopped
1 cup ketchup
1 cup beef broth
2/3 cup chili sauce
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 Tbs. worcestershire sauce
2 Tbs. prepared mustard
2 Tbs. molasses
2 Tbs. lemon juice
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. peper
1 Tbs. liquid smoke, optional

In a large dutch oven, brown roast on all sides in 1 Tbs. of the oil.  Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute the onions in the remaining oil until tender.  Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Pour the sauce over the meat.***

Cover and bake at 325 degrees for 2 hours, then turn the roast over and bake for another 2 hours or until the meat is very tender.  Remove the roast and shred and then return to the sauce until ready to serve.
Serve on kaiser rolls or buns.

***At this point you could tranfer it all to a slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours, or until the meat shreds easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment