Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Serving Up {Bread}: Mom's Corn Bread

I love corn bread but have become a bit of a corn bread snob.  I grew up enjoying my mom's recipe for corn bread, which is dense and moist and delicious.  Sadly, I have learned that most corn bread is dry, crumbly and not delicious.  As a result, I am cautious about eating corn bread outside of my own (or my moms) home.

If you have doubt, I will illustrate my point by telling you that twice, in a very short period of time, I took meals into the homes of people that needed a meal.  On both occasions I brought this bread along as an accompaniment.  On BOTH occasions, I had the husbands comment later that they don't even like corn bread but that they loved mine.  I thought that is was funny that the same thing happened twice and that both men felt the need to tell me how much they disliked corn bread.  I was pleased on both accounts that mine found their favor.

So if you aren't a corn bread fan (because you have only had dry, bland experiences) may I encourage you to try this recipe and see if it makes a corn bread fan of you.  It makes a great side to a warm soup in the winter or the perfect balance to a green salad in the summer.


MOM'S CORN BREAD     Pin It
recipe from Linda W.
printable version

1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup flour
1 cup corn meal
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cup milk

Cream together the butter and sugar in a medium bowl.  Add the eggs and beat well.  Combine the dry ingredients and alternately add the dry ingredients and milk.
Pour into a greased 9-inch square pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until center tests done.

No comments:

Post a Comment