Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Serving Up {Brownies}: Heavenly Brownies


My blog is officially one year old!  I have to admit that when I began I wasn't sure if it would even make it this long :)

In reviewing the recipes that I have posted (and the many more that I still want to post) I was shocked to realize that I had not yet posted my all time favorite brownie recipe.  In an entire years time you would think that I would set my priorities!  (I have posted this favorite brownie recipe, but real life dictates that, sadly, not all brownies can be mint brownies).

I am definitely a brownie girl.  And it isn't about the chocolate because I don't get weak in the knees over chocolate cake the way I do over brownies.  It is something about the dense texture, the chewy chocolate goodness and the fact that no frosting is needed before digging in - although a scoop of ice cream and drenching it all in fudge syrup doesn't hurt anything.  And boy do these brownies have the dense texture and the chewy chocolate goodness down!  When I lived in Vegas there was a little market that sold baked goods and their brownies were SO good!  They are the only store baked good that I have ever indulged in on a regular basis.  These rival those brownies!

When I make this recipe I use one bowl and a wooden spoon - which is all the more reason to love this recipe for it's simplicity.  I take the microwave method over the stove top method for heating the butter and sugar and find that once I mix my sugar in with the melted butter I microwave the mixture three times for one minute each time, stirring in between.  I don't know what that does, but it DOES make a difference.  I also find that if you can keep from eating the entire pan immediately, freezing these brownies only  make them all the better.  An individual brownie, snuck from the freezer while kids are sleeping and eaten while only partially thawed is divine!
(Oh, and my only tweak to this recipe from the way I found it was to remove the espresso powder - so if that is your thing, add it back in.)





One Year Ago: Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwich

HEAVENLY BROWNIES     
(recipe from King Arthur Flour)
printable version

1 cup butter
2 1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4  cup dutch-process cocoa
1/2 tsp. salt (increase to 1 tsp if you use unsalted butter)
1 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbs. vanilla
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 9x13 pan.

In a medium bowl, or in a saucepan set over low heat, melt the butter, then add the sugar and stir to combine. Return the mixture to the heat (or microwave) briefly, just till it’s hot, but not bubbling; it’ll become shiny looking as you stir it. Heating the butter and sugar a second time will dissolve more of the sugar, which will yield a shiny top crust on you brownies. Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl.

Stir in the cocoa, salt, baking powder and vanilla. Add the eggs, beating till smooth; then add the flour and chocolate chips, beating till well combined. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.

Bake the brownies for 28-30 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out dry. The brownies should feel set both on the edges, and in the center. Remove them from the oven, and after 5 minutes loosen the edges with a table knife; this helps the brownies from sinking is the center as they cool. Cool completely before cutting and serving.
<script type="text/javascript" src="//assets.pinterest.com/js/pinit.js"></script>

No comments:

Post a Comment