Monday, April 4, 2011

Serving Up {Sandwich}: Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwich

I admit that my children are picky eaters.  I routinely have at least one child declare that dinner is "disgusting".  Every day.  No matter what is served.

This recipe is not only delicious but it is one of the few meals that EVERYONE in our little family eats with a smile - and frequently requests are made for seconds.  Because of that, and because it's ridiculously easy (thank you crock pot), I have delivered it on more than one occasion to a neighbor in need of dinner.  I figure if it passes our household taste test then it's safe to serve to just about anyone.

 
SLOW COOKER ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH     Pin It
(recipe from Melanie B.)
printable version

1 ½ cups beef broth
1 cup water
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. onion salt
1 tsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 bay leaf
1 0.7-ounce package dry Italian-style salad dressing mix
1 5-pound chuck roast

Combine water, beef broth and all seasonings. Whisk to combine.

Place roast in slow cooker and pour salad dressing mixture over the meat. Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. When done, remove the bay leaf and shred the meat with a fork*; if you shred the meat ahead of time and allow it to sit in the juices, it will absorb more juice/flavor.

Serve on crusty rolls.  Frequently my husband will add a smear Dijon on his roll which is a nice flavor.  Our favorite addition (my husband and myself anyway) is to top our beef with coleslaw for an added flavor burst and a bit of a crunch.

* My tip for shredding cooked meat (beef or pork or chicken) is to use your potato masher.  It makes the task much faster than the two fork method.

No comments:

Post a Comment