Thursday, November 8, 2012

Serving Up {Sandwich}: Roasted Pepper Wraps


This post is dedicated to all of my friends and family who will be warmly welcoming Trader Joe's to Salt Lake City later this month.  I have lived near a Trader Joe's ever since I have been married and have often joked with my family that I could never move back to Utah because there wasn't a Trader Joe's there.  I am glad to finally have that piece rectified.  In my celebratory mood, I made this wrap entirely with things I purchase from Trader Joe's (although you could technically make this wrap without using anything from Trader Joe's).

Last month my husband served in an advisory role for a community event that provided free information to people regarding finances and financial planning.  The event had food catered and I think he mentioned the food multiple times as we talked briefly during the day.  At the end of the day, he ended up bringing home a couple of roasted pepper wraps that had been served and they were SO good!  So I promptly unrolled one and took note of what was in it so that I could recreate the goodness.  The ingredients are really simple, but when combined it makes a very flavorful, satisfying wrap.  It's hard to believe that something so healthy can be so easy to put together.




And in keeping with my Trader Joe's love-fest, I would highly recommend serving this wrap with these...
chips as a side and these...
cookies as dessert.

Welcome to Utah Trader Joe's!!!


One Year Ago: Holiday Yams & Apples

ROASTED PEPPER WRAP     
printable version

Red, Yellow, Orange Bell Pepper
4 Organic Wheat Wraps (could use a high quality tortilla)
Cream Cheese, softened
Garlic Hummus Dip
Baby Spinach

Begin by roasting your bell peppers.  Cut each pepper into quarters and remove all seeds.  Place skin side up on a foil-lined pan.  Place in the oven and set broil to high.  Watch VERY carefully - you want the skins to turn black, but you don't want the pepper to burn.  Once the skins are all charred and beginning to blister, remove from the oven and immediately place the peppers into a bowl and cover the bowl securely with plastic wrap to capture the heat.  Allow the peppers to steam for about 20 minutes, at which point you can remove the charred skins from the peppers and the peppers are ready to use.

To create wrap, generously spread your wheat wrap (or tortilla) with cream cheese.  Next spread a thin layer of garlic hummus over the cream cheese.  Layer baby spinach leaves over the hummus.  Cut roasted bell peppers into strips and lay the strips down the center of your wrap.  Roll your wrap tightly and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment