Thursday, November 1, 2012

Serving Up {Pasta}: Parmesan Orzo with Basil


Isn't Orzo a great little pasta?  I don't know what it is about it, but I think it is so fun and I find myself drawn to any recipe that has it in it.  And man am I ever glad that my fascination with Orzo caused me to stumble upon this recipe.  The basil and Parmesan flavors are subtle enough to make this a terrific side dish, yet flavorful enough that you could easily use this recipe as a base for a main dish - by tossing it with roasted vegetables or sausage or both!

I would normally mention that this recipe makes a large amount if used as a side dish - except for the fact that we have never had any left over when I have made it, despite it's large quantity.  So I guess that speaks to it's deliciousness, as well as maybe also to our tendency to eat a bit more than necessary when it's just darned good!



One Year Ago: Pumpkin Doughnut Muffins

PARMESAN BASIL ORZO     
(recipe from Tasty Kitchen)
printable version

3 Tbs. butter
1 1/2 cup orzo
3 cups chicken broth
6 Tbs. freshly chopped basil
1 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Melt the butter over medium heat in a large stockpot.  Add the orzo and saute until the orzo begins to turn golden brown.  Slowly add the broth and bring to a boil.  Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until all of the broth has been absorbed.  Remove from the heat and add the basil, Parmesan and salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment