Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Serving Up {Breakfast}: Egg Nog Syrup

Last week I made a quick Target run the day after Halloween, not intentionally on that day, it just happened. My four-year old commented immediately about the fact that Christmas had arrived at Target.  It sure had!  Never mind that 12 hours earlier we were celebrating Halloween!  The costumes and candy and trick-or-treating may as well have been months ago.  Christmas had come to Target, as well as most other retailers I am sure.

Although I do have a bit "hum bug" attitude about the hyper-marketing that surrounds Christmas, I have to admit that I did make a bee line for the refrigerator section.  I figured if Christmas decor was out, then so should be the Christmas food.  And sure enough....there was a full case of Egg Nog!

Last year I tweaked my homemade syrup recipe by substituting buttermilk for egg nog and the result was divine!  Since you can only purchase egg nog for the next couple of months, do yourself a favor and make some of this syrup for those that you love.  They will thank you.  They may also drink the syrup, but that is just another form of their love being expressed :)



One Year Ago:  Pumpkin Chiffon Pie

EGG NOG SYRUP     
(recipe adapted from Grandpa Holbrook)

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup egg nog
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda

In a large saucepan, combine butter, sugar and egg nog and heat until a light boil is reached, ensuring the butter has melted and the sugar has completely dissolved.  
Remove from the heat and add the vanilla and baking soda and stir until well combined. 
Serve over waffles, pancakes or french toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment