Thursday, October 18, 2012

Serving Up {Cake}: Apple Cake with Butter Sauce


I mentioned last week that I had purchased 120 pounds of apples from a local farmer...and boy oh boy are we enjoying our apples!

Autumn is the perfect time to enjoy all kinds of baked apple goodies and this cake is one of my favorite!  It comes from my aunt and my mom used to make it when I was growing up and I continue to enjoy it all these years later.  The cake itself is packed with shredded apples and yummy spices, but then as you serve the cake you top it with a butter sauce that is to die for!  I will admit that I kind of like to drench my cake in sauce, so feel free to follow suit.  I won't judge.




One Year Ago: Pumpkin Bread

APPLE CAKE WITH BUTTER SAUCE     
(recipe from aunt June)
printable version

2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
4 cups shredded apples
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
dash salt
1 cup nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare a 13x9 pan by greasing and flouring it.
In a large bowl, cream together sugar and butter.  Add eggs and mix well.  Add apples and continue to blend.  Gradually add dry ingredients.  Smooth batter into prepared pan and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick tests clean.
Serve cake warm with warmed butter sauce.

Butter Sauce:
1/2 cup butter
2 cups sugar
1 cup evaporated milk
2 tsp. vanilla

Combine sugar, butter and milk in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Bring to a soft boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes.  Remove from heat and add vanilla.
Serve warmed over warm apple cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment