Thursday, May 17, 2012

Serving Up {Tip}: Lemon Zest


I love a little tang of lemon zest and yet I used to dread seeing "lemon zest" in a recipe because I felt foolish purchasing a lemon simply for the purpose of zesting it and wasting the rest.  I say used to because thanks to my family's green smoothie habit, we go through lemons quickly these days so it isn't the issue that it used to be.  Actually, now my issue is the reverse - I use a lemon every day or two and hate seeing the perfectly good zest go to waste.  So I have a solution and it works brilliantly.

When I purchase my lemons, I wash them in the same fruit wash as the rest of my produce and then I zest a weeks worth of lemons.  I know the lemons will be used shortly for smoothies so I am not concerned with that they will dry out after being zested.

I then take the zest and place it in a freezer jar and freeze it.  It freezes perfectly and retains it's bright flavor if used within a reasonable time.  No more issues with lemon zest and you can begin experimenting by adding it to all kinds of recipes.  I personally like to add it to salad dressings (here is a favorite), I add it to pancakes, waffles and muffins and it is absolutely DIVINE in chocolate chip cookies or oatmeal cookies.   I am dead serious about the chocolate chip cookies - try it!

What do you add lemon zest to?




                        Honey Red Wine Vinaigrette
                        Creme Brulee French Toast

No comments:

Post a Comment