Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Serving Up {Pizza}: Reuben Pizza Calzone


I have a bit of a condition that is very serious and thus far I have no cure...if I find myself at a restaurant that serves sandwiches and a reuben is on the menu, I am hopelessly bound to order the reuben.  I love them and still remember being introduced to them for the first time while staying with my aunt while my parents were on vacation.  I have been enjoying them ever since.

It is no wonder that when I stumbled across this recipe a number of years ago, I let no time pass before I promptly made it and have been making it ever since.  Should you find yourself with a similar obsession with reubens, I hope you enjoy this recipe and find it to be a delightful variation on the perfect sandwich.





REUBEN PIZZA CALZONE     
(recipe from Rachel Ray)
printable version

1 pound pizza dough (refrigerated or make your own)
1 1/2 cups shredded swiss cheese
1 pound deli-sliced pastrami
1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed
1/2 Tbs. olive oil
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 ½ Tbs. ketchup
2 Tbs. finely chopped dill pickles

Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees. If you are using a pizza stone, put your stone in the oven and preheat it for at least 20-30 minutes.

Cut the pizza dough in half and form each half into a disk. Place on a lightly floured work surface and cover one with a towel.

Roll out the other piece of dough into a 9-inch round and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle half of the cheese on top, leaving a 1-inch border all around. Arrange the pastrami and then the sauerkraut evenly on top. Top with the remaining cheese.

Roll out the second piece of dough in to a 10 inch round and place over the filling. Tightly crimp together the edges to seal. Brush the top with the olive oil and cut 3 vents in the center.

Bake the pizza until browned and crisp, 20-25 minutes. Let it cool briefly.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the many, ketchup and pickles. Cut the pizza into wedges and serve with the sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment