Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Serving Up {Cookies}: Butterscotch Potato Chip Cookies


Oh yes!  You did just read Butterscotch POTATO CHIP Cookies.  Salty...check!  Sweet...check!  YUM...huge check!

So here is the subconscious funny behind these little babies needing some sweet and some salty.  I have been having an "issue" with a neighbor.  Totally embarrassed to even admit that my neighbor hates me.  Actually I'm okay with that, but I am not okay with the fact that she hates my kids.  I mean, she isn't the one having to referee their arguments or beg them to practice the piano - what is there for her to hate?  But I digress....

Anyway, after the fourth time that she yelled (make that screamed) at my children in the middle of the afternoon for being on the trampoline, and the second time that her screaming included the phrase "you little S%#@" (yes she did!) I decided it was time to take her some cookies and apologize for my children having had disturbed her.  It went pretty well.  I gave her my cell phone number and told her to call me any time that my children were bothering her and I would take care of it immediately.  It was still going pretty well.  And then as I was leaving she quickly added that she thought my husband was rude because he called her "honey" (as in, "stop screaming at my children honey") at which point the sweet in the cookies was overpowered by the salty and I told her that I didn't believe that being called "honey" was anywhere near as rude as being called a "little S%#@".  Oh boy, did I get my momma bear on and I looked her right in the eyes and said, "let me make sure that you are 100% clear on this.  You now have my cell phone number and while you are welcome to call me, you will NEVER address my children directly again".  It suddenly wasn't going as well anymore and she slammed her door.  But she didn't throw the cookies at me!  If she had, I would have taken them home and eaten them myself because they are good enough to pick up off the ground and eat.

Wow!  I hadn't planned to share my neighbor drama, but it sure felt good.  Thanks for listening!  Even if you don't have a salty neighbor that you are trying to win over, this recipe is a winner.  I believe I may just be adding potato chips to a few more sweet things - think of all those recipes that use pretzels to create crunchy and salty....my creative juices are running!  This could be fun!



                        Oriental Chicken Salad

BUTTERSCOTCH POTATO CHIP COOKIES     

1 (18-ounce) package white cake mix
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 cups crushed plain potato chips
1 cup butterscotch chips

Preheat oven to 350 degress.
Mix the cake mix, butter, brown sugar and eggs in a large bowl with an electric mixer for 1-2 minutes.  When well combined, add potato chips and butterscotch chips and mix in by hand with a wooden spoon.

Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet.  Make 9-12 minutes, or just until edges are set.  Cool 5 minutes on cookie sheet and then remove to wire rack to cool completely.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry about your neighbor! That's terrible! Though I don't have a rotten neighbor to deal with, I definitely need to try these cookies, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katherine, sorry about the drama. Some people just don't get it. Anyway... could I use chocolate chips instead of the butterscotch? You know me. Everything is just better with chocolate. :) Although they do sound pretty good, I am just a sucker for the chocolate. Good luck with the drama. Maybe its time to move?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The neighbors house is up for sale....so, yes, it is time to move :)
      I haven't made this recipe with chocolate chips. The butterscotch has a really unique flavor/pairing with the salty potato chips that would be completely different with chocolate chips. I am going to have to just try it I guess.

      Delete
  3. How can you eat these and stay as thin as you are? Life is just unfair! So sorry about the neighbor; that is kinda funny though. Way to let your mama bear out!

    ReplyDelete