Thursday, June 7, 2012

Serving Up {Snack}: (Baked) Fried Pickles


I totally get that these photos aren't going to reach out and grab you, so you may just have to trust me on this.  If you like pickles, this is a really great recipe and a fun afternoon snack.  The first time I made this recipe, I only made a half batch, unsure how the kids would respond.  Well, let's just say that after two minutes they were all gone and I was wishing (as were the kids) that I had made a full batch.  

The original recipe (here) provides a recipe for a cilantro ranch dip, but my kids prefer theirs without a dipping sauce.  I personally think that they would be good dipped in "fry sauce" and will probably explore that train of thought very soon.  My last tip - think backyard BBQ with these bad boys topping a juicy burger.  Simply delicious!  You can thank me later!  


                         Broccoli Salad

(BAKED) FRIED PICKLES     
(recipe from The Vanilla Tulip)

1 jar pickle slices, drained
2 eggs
1/3 cup flour
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. hot sauce
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. Cajun seasoning
1 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs

Preheat oven broiler to high.  Place a baking rack over a baking sheet and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and flour. Add Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, garlic powder, Cajun seasoning, and pepper. Mix well.
Place panko bread crumbs in a shallow dish.
Lay pickles out on paper towel to absorb excess moisture.  Dip each pickle slice into the egg mixture,  then in the panko bread crumbs.
Place coated pickles on the rack set above a baking sheet. Broil for about 3 minutes, then remove from oven and turn the pickles over.  Return to oven and broil for 3 minutes more.

No comments:

Post a Comment