Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Serving Up {Dessert}: Creme Brulee Cheesecake Bars


I am playing a bit of catch up here in blogland.  If only it were just my blogs that I was falling behind in!  Ughh!

I wanted to begin today by posting the first of two new recipes that I made for our family Easter dinner.  Although these are not old family recipes that have stood the test of time, they are absolutely new favorites that I cannot wait to make again!  If you doubt my intentions, let me admit that I have already gone to the store to purchase the ingredients so that I will have them on hand when the cheesecake need craving hits.  

Today's recipe is for Creme Brulee Cheesecake Bars from Taste and Tell.  I have had this recipe "bookmarked" for a long time and I think that I had (wrongly) assumed that they would take longer to prepare than they really did.  Even though they are a baked cheesecake bar, they whip together so quickly that there is really no excuse to delay in making them.  Believe me, after having eaten one, two, a few, I am telling you that these bars are incredible!

One Year Ago: Gooey Butter Cake

CREME BRULEE CHEESECAKE BARS     
(recipe from Taste and Tell)

1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix
1 box (4-serving size) French vanilla instant pudding
2 Tbs. brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 1/2 tsp. vanilla (divided)
2 eggs plus 3 egg yolks
2 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup toffee bits, finely chopped

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray the bottom and sides of 13x9 inch pan with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, stir cookie mix, pudding mix, brown sugar, melted butter, 1 teaspoon of the vanilla and 1 whole egg until a soft dough forms. Press the dough into the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of pan.

In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, sour cream and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add remaining whole egg, 3 egg yolks and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla; beat until smooth. Pour over the crust in the pan.

Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the center is set. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with the crushed toffee bits. Allow to cool at least 30 minutes. Refrigerate about 3 hours or until well chilled prior to serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment