Thursday, March 8, 2012

Serving Up {Cookies}: Cinnamon Roll Cookies


If I could eat cinnamon rolls every single day, I would.  Really.  I LOVE them that much!  There, I admit it.
I guess the proof is that I find myself drawn to all kinds of cinnamon roll variations - muffins and cakes and now cookies!  I was hopeful, yet skeptical, when I first saw this recipe.  I really wanted them to taste like cinnamon rolls but I was prepared to be disappointed.  There was no need for such preparation on my part.  I was not disappointed at all!  These cookies really are delicious and if you like cinnamon treats anywhere close to as much as I do, I promise that you will fall in love with this recipe, just like I have.

I am posting the recipe doubled from the original recipe I used.  The original recipe only made 24 cookies and I just wholeheartedly believe that if you are going to bake, you have got to have something left to show for it :)  24 cookies wouldn't last an hour at our house, so I have only made the recipe doubled.  If you are scared of having 48 delicious, miniature cinnamon rolls, feel free to cut the recipe in half or call me and I will take the excess off your hands.


CINNAMON ROLL COOKIES     Pin It
(recipe from Stephanie's Kitchen)
printable version

Cookie Dough:
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 egg yolks (reserve the egg white for the center filling)
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt

Filling:
2 egg whites
2 Tbs. water
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar

Icing:
3 cups powdered sugar
4 Tbs. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. almond extract
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar.  Add the egg yolks and vanilla.  Slowly add the flour and salt until the dough begins to come together - it may take a minute.  Divide the dough in half and place each half between two pieces of plastic wrap and roll out into approximately a 9x12 inch rectangle.  Refrigerate.

Prepare the filling by whisking together the egg whites and water.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar and cinnamon.  Set both aside.

Remove the two rectangles of dough from the fridge.  Remove the top

Take out the dough and place on a sheet of parchment paper. Place another piece on top and roll out into an approximately 9X12 inch rectangle. Take off the parchment paper on top and brush on the egg white wash. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture evenly over the dough. Carefully roll the dough length wise into a log. Make sure you press the edges together so they do not come undone. Roll back into the plastic wrap and place in the freezer for about 30 minutes. (Or refrigerate overnight) Cut into 1/2 inch circles. Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 350 degrees for about 15-17 minutes, or until just lightly golden on the bottom. The longer you bake them the crispier they will be.
For the icing, mix the ingredients until creamy and smooth. Drizzle over the cookies. Eat for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment