Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Serving Up {Soup}: Coconut Curry Soup

I know that I have mentioned before my family's love of all things curry.  It stems from my husband living in the West Indies for two years while he served a mission for the LDS church.  I consider his taste for curry to be authentic and so he gets the final vote whenever I make a curry dish as to whether we keep the recipe or ditch the recipe.

This soup comes from Mel's Kitchen Cafe, one of my very favorite food blogs, not to mention the source of our family's favorite curry dish of all time (here).  I love to find new curry dishes to surprise my husband with and it is all the better when the end product tastes as good as this one.  The verdict - my husband gave it an "absolutely" when asked whether we keep the recipe or not.

I had already filed it away to make again...soon!

COCONUT CURRY SOUP      Pin It
(recipe from Mel's Kitchen Cafe)
printable version

2 Tbs. olive oil
1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
salt and pepper
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 cups chicken broth
1 14-ounce can coconut milk
1 Tbs. fish sauce
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 Tbs. brown sugar
1/2 Tbs. curry powder
1 lime, juiced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro

3-4 cups cooked rice (for serving)

In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the onion and red pepper and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes or until the vegetables have softened. Add the chicken broth, coconut milk, fish sauce, cayenne pepper, brown sugar and curry powder. Stir all to combine. Bring the soup to a gentle boil and reduce heat to simmer, cooking for an additional 10-15 minutes. Stir in lime juice and cilantro.
Serve the soup by ladling the soup over a scoop of rice and garnish with additional cilantro if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment