Friday, December 9, 2011

Serving Up {Cookies}: Holiday Mint Cookies

I am half way through my walk down memory lane...cookie recipes that I took to my annual cookie exchange when I used to live in Las Vegas.  These are truly some of my very favorite.

This recipe was one that I found on the Good Things Utah recipe website.  It calls for cookie dough to be wrapped around miniature mint patties.  The mint melts into the center of each cookie, but when you bite into the cookie there is a thin layer of chocolate remaining and a delightful mint flavor that pleasantly surprises.  The first time I made these cookies they brought back a definite memory, but to this day I have not been able to place the memory - I almost wonder if my mother or one of my grandmothers made a similar cookie.  I'm not sure but if any of my relations make these and have the same recollection, please let me know.  Maybe we can unravel the mystery together :)

I dressed these cookies up for the cookie exchange by drizzling them with some melted chocolate.  Really simple but I think it adds a lot to their appeal.


HOLIDAY MINT COOKIES     Pin It
printable version

3 ¼ cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 stick butter
½ cup shortening
1 cup sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 Tbs. water
1 tsp. vanilla
1 package mini chocolate mint patties (like York Peppermint Patties)

Sift together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
In mixer, cream butter and shortening; add sugar and brown sugar and cream until mixed thoroughly. Add eggs, water and vanilla.
Blend in dry ingredients.
Chill dough.
Open package of chocolate mint wafers and unwrap. Enclose each wafer in cookie dough. Place on greased baking sheet.
Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
Once cooled, drizzle with melted chocolate chips if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment