Friday, November 11, 2011

Serving Up {Potatoes}: Refrigerated Mashed Potatoes

Fall is in the air and I am beginning to crave heartier meals.  Meals that I grew up on, like meat and mashed potatoes.  And these are my mom's ULTIMATE mashed potatoes.  In fact, she took these to every family Thanksgiving gathering that I remember - they are part of the tradition at our house.  I grew up not even appreciating gravy because, trust me, you don't need gravy on these potatoes.  They are loaded with yummy flavors and can definitely stand alone.  (I have since learned to appreciate the gravy and happily drown the turkey and stuffing with gravy).

I am not sure where the name came from, but I assume they are called "refrigerated" because my mom always made these the day before and then refrigerated them until serving them, when they would be warmed through in the oven prior to serving.  That option of making them ahead really helps out when you are in charge of Thanksgiving dinner and need to divide all the labor between a few days.

One last plug for these potatoes - my husband doesn't like potatoes.  Isn't that weird?  But he likes these potatoes and eats them whenever they are served.  So if these are good enough to win over a non-potato eater, you may just have to give them a try.



REFRIGERATED MASHED POTATOES     Pin It
(recipe from Linda W.)
printable version

5 lbs. potatoes
8 oz. cream cheese
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 tsp. onion salt
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 Tbs. butter

Boil the potatoes in salted water.  Mash until smooth, using reserved potato water for liquid.  Add remaining ingredients while potatoes are hot and beat until light and fluffy.  Cool, cover and refrigerate.
When ready to serve, place potatoes in a buttered casserole dish.  Dot the top with additional pats of butter. Bake in a 350 degree oven until heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment