Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Serving Up {Candy}: Oreo Truffles & Cake Balls


Today is a double feature!  Two DELICIOUS recipes for homemade chocolates that anyone can make!

The holidays are upon us and that frequently means that it is time to make goodies to share with friends and neighbors.  Both of these recipes are "cheater" recipes that will taste absolutely gourmet but will not require candy thermometers or anything similarly "daunting".
(another similarly easy candy recipe will be coming later this week - stay tuned)

The Oreo Truffle recipe I first made for a St. Patrick Day treat a few years ago and I opted to crush mint Oreo's and dipped them in green wilton chocolate melts.  They turned out really cute and the mint was really a yummy twist.  Keep that in mind.

The Cake Ball recipe has been all over the internet for years and people get darned creative with them.  The original recipe I saw called for red velvet cake mix and cream cheese frosting.  I have branched out and tried just about every cake/frosting flavor combination you can come up with (yes, even lemon and strawberry - but not those two together!).  My favorite is a chocolate cake mix and a chocolate fudge frosting.  In defense of my playing favorites, I took a plate of these (made with chocolate on chocolate) to a new family in the neighborhood who had just moved from the east coast.  The response I got was that they were "exactly" like some insanely expensive "truffles" that they had enjoyed in their previous hometown and they didn't believe that I had made them - after their enthusiastic response I never dared tell them that I had used a cake mix!

I have been asked before how I "dip" my chocolates.  I learned this little trick a couple of years ago and it is now the only way I "dip".  Take a plastic fork and break off the two middle tines, leaving just the two outside tines in place.  Place your balls of candy in your melted chocolate and use the fork to roll it around and to scoop the finished product out of the chocolate.  (see photo below).
I also have discovered that I prefer parchment paper over wax paper for setting my chocolates on to set up - there is a difference and parchment paper is MUCH better!



OREO TRUFFLES     Pin It
(recipe from Kraft foods magazine)
printable version

1 8-ounce pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 pkg. OREO cookies, finely crushed
Milk chocolate (or dark chocolate) wafers, for melting and dipping

Blend cream cheese and cookie crumbs until well blended.
Using cookie scoop, make 1" balls.  Place in refrigerator for an hour or so to make the balls more firm.
In a microwave safe glass bowl, melt your dipping chocolate.  Heat for 1 minute and remove and stir.  Heat for additional 30 minute intervals, stirring between each until smooth.
Remove balls from refrigerator and dip in the melted chocolate.
Place on parchment paper and allow the chocolate to set up.
Sprinkle with reserved cookie crumbs or holiday sprinkles.

CAKE BALLS
(recipe from Bakerella)
printable version

1 box chocolate cake mix + ingredients to bake as directed on box
1 can chocolate fudge frosting
chocolate bark or "wilton melts" - chocolate or white chocolate

Bake the cake mix, as directed, for 13x9 cake.  Once baked, allow to cool completely and then crumble it into a large bowl.
Add the can of frosting and mix well (I use my beaters).
Using cookie scoop, roll into 1" balls and place in the refrigerator for at least 1-2 hours to chill and set up.

In a microwave safe glass bowl, melt your dipping chocolate.  Heat for 1 minute and remove and stir.  Heat for additional 30 minute intervals, stirring between each until smooth.
Remove balls from refrigerator and dip in the melted chocolate.
Place on parchment paper and allow the chocolate to set up completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment