Thursday, October 20, 2011

Serving Up {Soup}: Pumpkin Curry Soup

I have mentioned before how much my husband loves curry.  I personally love pumpkin.  This soup is the perfect combination of both.  It's just a bonus that this recipe is ridiculously quick and easy to pull together.  I have been making this recipe for probably 10 years and even my three year old refers to it as "the yummy orange soup".  You can't get anything better than a favorable review from the three year old!

The recipe calls for mushrooms, which I have used in the past and would use every time if I weren't the only mushroom eater in the house :(
The mushrooms are a terrific bonus if you can get away with them, but if you're like me, and you can't, rest assured that the recipe does just fine without them.


PUMPKIN CURRY SOUP     
(recipe from Taste of Home magazine)
printable version

1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 Tbs. butter
2 Tbs. flour
1/2 to 1 tsp. curry powder
3 cups vegetable broth (I've used chicken too)
1 can (15 ounce) solid-pack pumpkin
1 can (12 ounce) evaporated milk
1 Tbs. honey
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
fresh chives, optional

In a large saucepan, saute the mushrooms and onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour and curry powder until blended. Gradually add the broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the pumpkin, milk, honey, salt, pepper and nutmeg; heat through.
Garnish with chives if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment