Monday, September 26, 2011

Serving Up {Snack}: Coconut Chex Mix

I am a pretty big fan of coconut.  When I found this recipe (unfortunately I can't remember where I found this recipe) it reminded me of my favorite granola recipe so I just had to try it.  It did not disappoint and I was grateful that it was a hit with the kiddos so that I wasn't left eating it all completely on my own.  Nonetheless, I did eat more than my share because it is just one of those flavors that addicts you after only one bite.  Consider yourself warned.

Actually, the recipe as written called for almonds.  I made half of it with almonds and half of it with cashews (like my granola) and the cashews won in my book.  But even pecans or macadamia nuts would be tasty.  Chex mix is one of those things that you can play with and get creative with.  I added candy corn to it last fall to take to a youth Halloween party and the bowl was returned empty, so I will take that as a good sign.



COCONUT CHEX MIX     Pin It
6 cups rice chex
6 cups golden grahams
1 cup chopped nuts (cashews, pecans, macadamia)
1 cup coconut
1 1/2 cups butter (3 cubes)
1 cup sugar
1 cup Karo syrup
1 tsp. vanilla (I substituted 1 tsp. of coconut extract and really liked it)

In a large bowl, combine the cereal, nuts and coconut.
In a medium saucepan, combine the butter, sugar, karo syrup and vanilla and bring to a boil.  Boil for two minutes.  Pour sauce over the cereal and toss to coat.
Store in airtight container.

1 comment: