Friday, September 16, 2011

Serving Up {Breakfast}: Coconut Syrup

I could drink this syrup!

My kids probably already have!

I don't buy syrup from the store.  We generally opt for jams or fruit or nutella (or nothing) to top our breakfast goodies.  But when I stumbled across this recipe a couple of years ago, there was no going back!  We have been converted to syrup when it's this syrup.  To prove my point, I always have at least one back up bottle of coconut extract in the cupboard.  My kids just wouldn't have it any other way.



COCONUT SYRUP     Pin It
(recipe from The Sisters Cafe)
printable version

7-8 Tbs. butter
¾ cup buttermilk
1 cup sugar
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp. coconut extract

Place butter, buttermilk and sugar in a saucepan. Turn heat to medium and stir until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil and boil for one minute. Remove from the heat and add soda and extract. It will bubble up; just continue to stir and give it a few minutes for the “foam” to reduce before serving.

2 comments:

  1. I made this syrup tonight for my kids. I served it with French toast and it was a hit with them and me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that it was a hit.
    My mantra is "every day is better when it starts with coconut syrup". Just kidding - but it totally could be :)

    ReplyDelete