Friday, August 5, 2011

Serving Up {Cake}: Scor Cake



Happy Anniversary to me today!  My hubby and I are celebrating twelve years together as husband and wife, which is truly amazing since neither of us look a day over 25!  Ha!  (the grey hairs look distinguished)


And less I make my mother blush, I did NOT intentionally post this cake on this day as some type of subliminal suggestion.  It's simply one of my husbands very favorite desserts.  You know this dessert - most people call it "Better than ___ Cake" but my mom, being the sweet, innocent woman that she (still) is always called it "Scor Cake" because of the scor candy bar topping.  My brothers and I thought her name for the cake kind of related to the original name of the cake and that always used to give us the giggles :)

I have seen many variations of this cake over the years but I stick to it's true roots of a chocolate cake base, sweetened condensed milk, butterscotch caramel topping, cool whip and crushed toffee bits.
Variations I have seen include:

  • replacing the butterscotch caramel topping with hot fudge topping
  • the addition of hot fudge topping while still using the butterscotch caramel topping
  • using crushed butterfinger candy instead of crushed toffee bits
I assume everyone has made this cake, but in case you have been living under a log somewhere and somehow not ever made it, you owe it to yourself to make it today (especially if today is your anniversary).  It doesn't get much easier than this and yet the end product would suggest much more effort than was really required.  Yum!




SCOR CAKE     Pin It

1 box Chocolate Cake mix, devils food or triple chocolate
water, egg, oil to prepare cake mix
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 jar Mrs. Richardson's butterscotch caramel ice-cream topping
1 8-ounce container cool whip topping
1 bag Heath toffee bits or Scor bar crushed up

Prepare chocolate cake mix according to package directions.
Remove from oven and poke holes all over the cake using a straw or handle of a wooden spoon.
Pour entire can of sweetened condensed milk over the entire cake while the cake is still hot.  Allow cake to cool.
Once the cake is cooled, pour 1/2 jar of Mrs. Richardson's butterscotch caramel topping over the entire cake.
Frost cake with cool whip topping and sprinkle with toffee bits.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours prior to serving.  Store cake covered in the refrigerator.

1 comment:

  1. It is still so funny to me that we share the same anniversary and number of years! Happy anniversary to you both. I am assuming that you were lucky enough to actually be with your husband on your anniversary! Great to see you!

    ReplyDelete