Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Serving Up {Cake}: Frosted Banana Bars


Last week I declared my love of all things banana with a recipe for Coconut Banana Muffins.  In staying true to the promise of never ending banana recipes I am sharing this yummy recipe for Frosted Banana Bars - delicious!

Last weekend we hosted a BBQ at our home for a group of adults from church and we had about 50 people in attendance.  Everybody was supposed to bring either a salad or a dessert and I was told that I didn't need to provide either since I was providing the home.  But my husband was aware of one attendee that was celebrating his birthday that night and asked that I make a "cake".  I knew exactly what cake I was going to make until the day of the BBQ when my husband informed me that the cake couldn't be chocolate.  While this recipe isn't truly a "cake", it became my back up (non-chocolate) plan.  I'm so glad that it did.  I love this recipe and only wish I had more reason to host large crowds so that I could make all of my favorite desserts, eat my one deliciously large piece and then be ensured that the rest would be eaten by others and not remain in my own fridge for me to feel obligated to eat!


FROSTED BANANA BARS     
printable version

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup mashed banana (approx 3)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 10x15 jelly roll pan. Cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time and then stir in the sour cream and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and salt and add to the batter. Finally, mix in the mashed banana. Spread evenly into prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool before frosting.

Frosting:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

Combine cream cheese, sugar, salt and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy. Set aside. In another bowl beat whipped cream until stiff peaks form. Fold whipped cream into cream cheese mixture. Frost cooled bars and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment