Friday, May 6, 2011

Serving Up {Vegetables}: Roasted Asparagus

I love spring...when there is so much fresh produce in the markets.  Asparagus is one of those spring delights that I look forward to.  I have always loved asparagus but up until a couple of years ago I didn't make it very often.  Then I discovered roasting it to prepare it, and while it's not nearly as pretty as when it is steamed, it is SO good.  It is not uncommon for me to have roasted asparagus for lunch a couple of times a week when it is in season.  I know you're jealous!  Give it a try and you will be surprised at how easy (and yummy) it is.



ROASTED ASPARAGUS     

1 bunch of asparagus spears
olive oil
balsamic vinegar (optional)
sea salt
freshly ground pepper
Parmesan cheese

Heat the oven to 425 degrees.
Wash the asparagus and break the tough ends off.  Place on a foil lined baking sheet in a single layer.  Drizzle with olive oil and then balsamic vinegar (or use a balsamic dressing in place of both the oil and vinegar).  Roll the spears around until well coated.  Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.  
Bake for 20-25 minutes until they are tender but still crisp.
Grate fresh Parmesan cheese over the top as soon as they come out of the oven and allow to sit until the cheese melts.

No comments:

Post a Comment