Friday, May 20, 2011

Serving Up {Pizza}: Pizza Roll Ups


I have been making these Pizza Roll Ups for as long as I have had kids.  I got the recipe from a class I went to that encouraged cooking for two days straight and then freezing everything.  I think it was called "freezer meals".  Although I loved the concept, it was a commitment that I couldn't keep up with after about the second 30 day stretch.  The truth is that I am HORRIBLE about remembering to pull out the next days meal 24 hours in advance.  So I let it go.

I haven't let this recipe go though.  My kids LOVE these.  I do find myself doubling (or even tripling) this recipe when I make it and then freezing the extras.  They make a great addition to a lunch box - talk about making your kid the popular kid at the lunch table!

The recipe is really just a general guideline.  You can alter it in innumerable ways.  Use wheat dough, add (hide) veggies, use a different meat (chicken or sausage anyone?), try a gourmet cheese.  You get the idea.



PIZZA ROLL UPS     Pin It
1 loaf frozen bread dough (I like Rhodes)
3/4 - 1 pound ground beef
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup pizza sauce
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
additional pizza sauce (for dipping)

Thaw dough and roll into a 14x24 inch rectangle about ¼ inch thick. Cook ground beef until brown. Drain fat and stir in the remaining ingredients. Spoon filling evenly over dough, slightly pressing the filling into the dough. Roll dough lengthwise like you are rolling a jelly roll and cut into 12 2-inch slices.
Spray cookie sheet with nonstick spray.  Lay slices on the cookie sheet, one inch apart.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Let roll-ups sit for 15-20 minutes to rise slightly.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve with pizza sauce for dipping if desired.

(variations: wheat dough, chicken, sausage, mushrooms, olives, chopped tomatoes, peppers, etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment