Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Serving Up {Mexican}: Cream Cheese Enchilada

Tomorrow is Cinco Di Mayo.  Have you got your Mexican Menu planned?  If not, may I suggest (very humbly) these delicious enchiladas?  I promise you that you will plan to only eat one, but you will find yourself reaching for another.  It happens EVERY time I make them.  I know, I know, I need to work on my will power - but that takes will power that I just don't have.  A vicious cycle!

I generally double this recipe for two reasons - first is that they are so good you will simply want twice as many. Secondly, I dislike recipes that call for anything less than 8 oz. of cream cheese because any leftover will just go bad in my fridge. So I double this recipe for ease and just use one block of cream cheese.

I am going to put in a plug here for the tortillas from Costco that you cook yourself.  They make ANY tortilla recipe better.  It's the only tortilla I buy anymore and the only tortilla I have used to make these enchiladas.

I will mention that this recipe originally called for a red salsa.  I have never made it with red salsa.  I prefer salsa verde and so that is what I used when I made it the first time and that is how I have made it ever since.  It's delicious and I can't imagine red salsa would improve it any.  But just in case you aren't a salsa verde person, feel free to go for red salsa and let me know how it is...


CREAM CHEESE ENCHILADA     
(recipe adapted from Cassie Craves Blog)
printable version

5 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sour cream
2 cups salsa verde
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese, divided
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. cumin
Salt and pepper
4 scallions, thinly sliced
8 tortillas

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
In a medium bowl cream together the cream cheese and sour cream.  Stir in 1/2 cup salsa and 1/2 cup of each type of cheese.  In a second bowl combine the chicken, corn, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper and half  of the scallions.  Add the chicken mixture to the cheese mixture and stir until well combined.
Spread about 1/2 cup of salsa in the bottom of a baking dish.  Place 1/3 to 1/2 cup of the filling on a tortilla; roll up and put in the dish seam side down.  Repeat the process for the remaining tortillas.
Pour the remaining salsa over the enchiladas, spreading it to cover all of them.  Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
Bake in preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until hot and bubbly.  Sprinkle with remaining scallions prior to serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment