Monday, May 30, 2011

Serving Up {Breakfast}: Coconut and Cashew Granola

When I first began to weed out processed foods and make more "whole" food for our family, breakfast cereal was one of the first things to go.  Don't let me children's tear stained faces fool you - as a result of my anti-cereal stance they get hot breakfast meals most every single day.  So sad for them, I know!  But there are some days that we do need to be able to pour something into a bowl, drown it in milk and be out the door.  Quick!  Homemade granola is my answer.

I have two recipes that are tied for my favorite granola recipe.  This is one of the two.  Put it in a bowl covered in whole milk and you will find yourself getting out of bed in the morning just to eat it!  My husband and kids even like to eat it dry as a snack.  The only downside to this recipe is that we go through it REALLY fast.  As I have written the recipe below I have already doubled the recipe from what was on the original recipe, but generally I even double this amount.  What can I say?  We like us some granola!



COCONUT AND CASHEW GRANOLA     
(recipe from Mel's Kitchen Cafe)
printable version

6 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
¾ cup dark brown sugar
2 cups slivered or sliced almonds
2 cups cashews
1 ½ cups shredded coconut
½ cup coconut oil
¾ cup pure maple syrup
1 ½ tsp salt

Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the oats, sugar, nuts and coconut. In a separate bowl, combine the oil, maple syrup and salt and stir until well combined. Slowly pour the liquid over the oatmeal mixture and mix well. Divide in half and pour onto two 11x17 baking sheets, spreading out evenly.
Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, checking on it and stirring it every 30 minutes or so.  Bake until golden.

Optional: add 2 cups of raisins after granola is cooled.

Store in an airtight container or freeze.

1 comment:

  1. This recipe is awesome. I make is all the time, and without fail someone will ask me for the recipe when I share it.

    ReplyDelete