Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Serving Up {Soup}: Orange Tortilla Soup

 
I love to warm up with soup. Problem is, we lived in Las Vegas for nine years. Count em - nine years of "not really soup" weather. Don't get me wrong - I am not complaining about Vegas' perfect weather (yes, it is perfect). It's more of an opportunity for me to look on the bright side of our cold, wet days in Oregon by acknowledging that I now have a reason to pull out all of my soup recipes and put them to good use.

Tortilla Soup is a favorite of mine. It comes together super fast or can even be prepared in a crock pot and allowed to simmer all day. It's also one of the few (only?) soups that all four of my kids will eat.  Maybe if I served tortilla chips with all soups then all soups would be better received...

This recipe comes from The Sister's Cafe blog. While most Tortilla Soup recipes are just a variation upon a common theme (pull out the can opener) this recipe uses chicken and does not have canned beans.  Something about the lack of canned ingredients, and the subtle citrus taste from the orange juice, made me feel like this was a bit fresher, maybe even healthier. Oh, and most importantly, it passed the kids test!

If you are looking for a new twist on an old favorite, give this one a try.



ORANGE TORTILLA SOUP     
(recipe from The Sisters Cafe)
printable version

1 Medium yellow onion, chopped
1 Clove Garlic, minced
4 Celery Stalks, sliced
3 Tbs. Vegetable Oil
2 ½ cups Chicken Broth
1 ½ cups Orange Juice
1 14 oz. Can Tomato Sauce
1 cup Water
1 4 oz. can Diced Green Chilies
1 Tbs. Chopped Cilantro
½ Bag Matchstick Carrots ( I used diced)
2-3 Chicken Breasts

Grated Pepper Jack or Cheddar Cheese
Tortilla Strips/Chips
Sour Creams
Avocado

In large pot sauté onion, garlic, celery, and carrots with oil until onions are translucent.  Add broth, orange juice, water, and tomato sauce, cilantro, and chilies and simmer until vegetables are tender.
While soup is simmering pan fry or grill the chicken breasts with taco seasoning (optional), then shred or dice (I prefer diced) into small pieces. Add to the simmering soup.
Add your favorite toppings. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment