Friday, April 29, 2011

Serving Up {Cookies}: Todd's Chocolate Chip Cookies

I first tasted these cookies 14 years ago (yes, I still remember the first time I tasted them) and I did not leave the family gathering until I had a guarantee that the recipe would be on it's way.  These cookies have been with me ever since.  They darn near got me a marriage proposal when I mailed them to a friend who took them to work - he was encouraged by a colleague to marry whoever had made these cookies.  Ha!  These cookies also came in handy when on a road trip to visit another friend (who I DID actually get a marriage proposal from and accepted) and I needed three tires replaced at 2 a.m.  I'm not sure what the tow truck driver thought of the two 23 year old girls offering him a plate of cookies at that hour.  These cookies have seen some good times!

But even if you are not in need of a marriage proposal or a tow truck, this is a good recipe to have in your recipe box.  The recipe calls for "chocolate chips and nuts".  Just for the record, every time I have had the "ooh la la" response I have used white chocolate chips and pecans.  But that is not to say that they aren't pretty darn good with milk chocolate morsels.

The key to making these cookies is in the beating of the butter and sugar.  Use a good stand mixer and be patient.  When it says to beat the butter and sugar for five minutes, it means five minutes.  It makes all the difference.  The other key is letting the dough sit overnight before baking them.  I don't know why, but if you bake them without chilling the dough the cookies are flat and unimpressive.  Wait 24 hours and bake the dough after it's chilled and they are soft and chewy and thick and...will you marry me?



TODD'S CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES     
(recipe from Todd P.)
printable version

1 lb. butter (4 sticks)
2 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3 eggs
2 Tbs. vanilla
6 cups flour
2 tsp. soda
1 1/2 tsp. salt
4 cups chocolate chips (white is my preferred with this recipe)
2 cups nuts, optional (pecan chips are perfect)

*This recipe makes a lot - which is how I like to make cookies.  If you don't really need 10 dozen cookies, feel free to cut the recipe in half.

In a large mixer stand bowl, cream together the butter and the brown and white sugar until light and airy.  Add the eggs and vanilla and cream an additional FIVE minutes; scrapping down the sides of the bowl as needed.  Sift together the dry ingredients and add gradually to the butter mixture until all is incorporated.  Add chocolate chips and nuts last.
Chill the dough overnight.  When ready to bake, place on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.  Do not over bake!

No comments:

Post a Comment